top of page

Navigating the Trust Tightrope: A Humorous Look at Global Business Practices.



As I recently wandered through the charming streets of Ottawa, Canada, mingling with a few local leaders and conversing with the affable locals, I stumbled upon a revelation that often eludes us desk-bound souls. Travel does indeed open our eyes—not just to new sceneries but to the subtle art of local attitudes, the perception of new ideas, and the embryonic stages of innovation.

The Canadians, it appears, have an almost mythical start-up tool: trust. They sprinkle it liberally on their projects like maple syrup on pancakes. This trust is the secret sauce that allows them to dive into new ventures with a hearty splash, unburdened by the weighty diving suits of doubt and fear that some of us are accustomed to.


Back home in Malaysia, the approach couldn’t be more different. Here, we wouldn’t dream of starting something on just trust. We prefer our ventures served with a side of rigorous risk management, ensuring all safeguards are triple-checked before we even consider taking the plunge. It’s a meticulous process where every potential pitfall is examined with the intensity of a final exam cram session.


Now, let’s talk about risk. Risks, like uninvited party guests, can range from the mildly inconvenient to the downright disastrous. Some risks are like that relative who always turns up at family gatherings—there’s a 90% chance they’ll make an appearance. Others are like the long-lost cousin you meet once in a blue moon—a mere 10% likelihood. Then there are the risks that are like a surprise visit from someone you didn’t even know existed. These are the unpredictable, unknown risks that no amount of planning can prepare you for.


Across the border, our American friends often operate on a “do now, think later” mantra, seemingly flipping a giant coin marked with the words “trust” on one side and “trepidation” on the other. It’s a bold approach, sure, but does it factor in trust, or is it just another gamble?


So, what’s the best model for success? Should we study endlessly, paralyzed by analysis until ‘no tomorrow’ comes knocking? Should we set a timeline, study, evaluate, and then leap? Or do we throw caution to the wind and trust blindly, hoping for the best while preparing for the worst?


Perhaps the best approach lies somewhere in the middle. A balanced blend of trust and caution could be our golden ticket. Trust allows us to leap where others might hesitate, while a well-managed risk assessment ensures we’re not jumping off a cliff but into a clear, safe lake (with life jackets on, of course).


As we ponder these models, let’s not forget that humor, much like trust, is a crucial ingredient in our quest for success. It lightens the load, brightens our path, and reminds us that at the end of the day, whether we fly or fall, we can always laugh about it—preferably over a cup of strong, comforting tea (or coffee, if you’re so inclined). After all, isn’t the ability to laugh at oneself the truest form of trust?

8 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page